I grew up with a mom who had both a Bosch and a Kitchen Aid mixer.
She used them both.
But she used them for completely different things.
The Bosch was for bread making.
The Kitchen Aid was for everything else.
She never used any of the attachments for her Bosch, in fact she couldn't figure a lot of them out.
My mother-in-law also have both. And like my mom she bought the Bosch when she started making bread.
My mom rarely makes bread anymore because it is just her and my dad at home. She has since given the Bosch to my little sister who didn't have either, and something is better than nothing.
Here is my opinion. If you want a food mixer and your main reason is baking bread, and lots of it (more than 2 pounds of dough at a time, and more than once every couple of weeks) then the Bosch might be for you.
BUT
If you are an everyday mom, who wants to make cookies, cakes, and maybe explore into homemade pizza dough and possibly further, then the Kitchen Aid is for you.
My problem with the Bosch is that it doesn't mix single batches of cookies or cake batter very well. I have always had to scrap down the bowl way more times in a single batch with the Bosch. It also isn't a great tool for whipped cream or meringues unless you are making enough for a small army.
I make cookies on a weekly basis, homemade pizza about every other week. Cakes are for special occasions. But it is the other exploring that really puts the Kitchen Aid above the line for me. I like homemade pasta, especially in lasagna. I did have a hand-crank pasta maker that I used for years, but it was ruined in a flood. We decided to get the Kitchen Aid pasta roller attachment because it didn't cost much more than another hand-crank roller. BEST PURCHASE EVER! I never dreamed that making homemade pasta would be so easy. I know don't buy spaghetti or fettuccine because I can just make them, and mine taste so much better. All I need is flour, eggs, and olive oil (and maybe some semolina flour, but that isn't necessary) and I usually have all of those on hand. In the winter, homemade chicken noodle soup tastes and looks 100 times better when you have nice, plump homemade noodles in it. Now, you don't need a Kitchen Aid to make homemade pasta, but it makes it so easy.
I know that not everyone will even try to make their own pasta, but what I am saying is that if you aren't (or ever plan to be) a everyday bread maker, then the Kitchen Aid is what I recommend. It takes up less room in your cabinet than a Bosch and it comes in a ton of cute colors.
And there you have it, my first opinion on this blog.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Hey I didn't know you had an new blog! Ok I've never used a kitchen-aid, but I got the bosch as a wedding gift when we got married. I like the bosch and have never had any problems with it, but I think if I could go back I would have asked for the kitchen-aid instead. My main complaint with the bosch is that the attachment for the turn-y things is in the MIDDLE of the mixing bowl - I hate that! It's so much harder to empty out the bowl once you are done mixing something because there is this giant tube in the middle that you have to work around. So annoying!
seriously...where were you when i was making this decision for myself? oh well. Will file this away...so good to know!
Post a Comment