Monday, October 24, 2011

Tortilla Soup



This recipe comes from a friend of my mother-in-law. She lives in El Paso, so she really knows tortilla soup. I tweaked it a little because of what I had one hand. I'll put her recipe in (parenthesis) after my adjustment (if there is one). We serve it with tortilla chips, avocado or guacamole, sour cream and/or cheese. It's really so good!  The secret, enchilada sauce!

4 cooked chicken breasts, shredded.  I use a whole rotiserie chicken (meat only), rather than just chicken breasts.

1 large onion, small diced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1- 28 oz can of petite diced tomatoes (8 tomatoes diced)
2 jalapenos, minced
4 diced green chiles.  I buy whole ones in a can and then dice them myself.
1/2 bunch of cilantro, leaves chopped
2 cans tomato soup
1- 28 oz can red enchilada sauce. I use mild, but if you like things hot this is where you can turn up the heat.
6 chicken bullion cubes
8 cups of water
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
3/4 tsp. paprika
3/4 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. salt

In a large stock pot saute the onion and garlic with a little oil, on medium heat, until the onions are translucent and soft.
Add the tomatoes, jalapenos, green chiles, and cilantro and saute another 5 minutes.
Add all other ingredients except the chicken and bring to a simmer.
Once hot, add the chicken and start getting your toppings ready.
Serve with chips, cheese (cheddar, colby jack, Mexican queso... you pick), sour cream, chopped avocado or guacamole.
Now let it warm you up.

1 comment:

Jaime S. said...

I love tortilla soup, but I don't have a go to recipe. Can't wait to try this one!