Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy Valentine's Day

Since today is a day when we are allowed to eat a little extra chocolate, I thought I would share with you my recipe for Hot Chocolate Mousse, which I will be serving tonight.






2 oz Bittersweet Chocolate
3 oz Hot Chocolate Powder (I used Stephen's Gourmet Dulce de Leche)
2 TBS dark cocoa powder
1/4 cup water
4 egg yolks
1 tsp vanilla
4 egg whites
2 TBS sugar
1/2 cup Heavy Whipping Cream




  1. In a saucepan combine water, chocolate, hot chocolate, and cocoa powder, and melt over low heat, stirring constantly until the mixture is smooth.
  2. Beat in egg yolk. Whip the mixture over low heat for a few minutes until it thickens slightly.
  3. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla. Put in fridge for about an hour or until cooled completely
  4. Place the egg whites in an electric mixer and start whipping on med-high speed. Once they get a little frothy slowly add the sugar a little at a time, while the machine is still whipping. Whip until you get stiff peaks and a firm meringue. It will be about triple in volume, but make sure you don't over whip otherwise it might fall.
  5. In a large bowl fold this into the cooled chocolate mixture.
  6. Whip the cream until it forms soft peaks. Fold this into the chocolate and meringue.
  7. Pour the mousse into serving bowls or individual dishes. Chill for several hours before serving.
Makes about 4+ servings (but who cares if there is extra!)

1 comment:

Janine said...

Okay I can't wait to try this recipe.