The other day over at PersonalScrapper.com one of the message board members posed a question about journaling. She asked, "The thing I struggle with most when I do lo's is the journaling. I never seem to know what to write. I don't want it to sound cheesy or contrived.
How do you all approach your journaling? Do you do lots, just a little bit, mix it up? Up to now, I haven't done much, but I'd like to start doing more and I'm not sure what to even say!!"
I love journaling, and aside from the pictures this is my favorite part of the page. I do most of my journaling like I am either writing in my journal, writing a letter to someone (but without the salutations), or telling a story. For examples, in layouts about myself or a family activity I write like I am recording it in my journal. When doing pages in my daughter's album I write the journaling to her, using words like 'you'. And if it is a layout about something going on or a layout I am making for someone else I try to tell a story and include many details so that when they look back they get the whole picture.
I know that many people struggle with journaling because they aren't sure how it will look. For this I will refer to a tip I learned from Heidi Swapp in a class I took from her. Heidi is a huge supporter of using your own handwriting, but understands that not everyone likes their handwriting, so she says to always try it out in pencil first. I personally like my handwriting and don't really care if I make spelling mistakes because I am a bad speller and than is just a part of who I am, so I don't do this, but if neatness and correctness are important to you, try using pencil first.
Another thing that I think helps with my journaling is keeping cute journaling supplies together and close to me when I am creating a page. I have all of my pens of many colors together, a few sets of Heidi Swapp journaling spots and writers blocks, some random sizes of white cardstock cut up, some tags and cards ready-made by scrapping companies, and a few journaling block stamps and rub-ons. Having supplies ready for me to journal on makes it easier to do, and even if I make mistakes it isn't permanent on the page yet so I can start over.
No matter what you do though, there is no wrong way to journal. Sometimes a quote works best and other times a title says it all. Just try a few things out and see what works for you. It takes some time to find your voice and to write directly onto a layout, hopefully using some of the tips I listed above will help move many of you to this point.
If any of you out there have journaling tips, please list them in the comments section. THANKS!
I also went searching in the archives of Simple Scrapbook Magazine for some articles about journaling, so if you are interested check them out.
Write from the Heart Two-Minuter Memories
Tips for Improving your Handwriting Journal in your own Handwriting
Just the Facts No Photos? (No Problem!)
My Favorite Album: Family Quizzes (this is an article about my own album!)
10 Minute Journaling
Tuesday, January 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Wow Emma thanks for the journaling links! I took the same Heidi Swapp YTR class. I got way more from the class than I expected and pertaining to journaling I was prompted to think about things I had not before. Also I think having a blog has prompted me to journal more as I try to find interesting in the ordinary.
I am bookmarking ya! I hope you enjoy my blog as well @ www.andreavenn.typepad.com
Post a Comment