Thursday, December 11, 2008

Day 8- Cranberries

Sorry I am a couple days late in getting back to the list. They has some address confusion with our phone/dsl connection and so it took them a couple days to get it hooked up.

Cranberries have to be my favorite holiday food. I buy at least a dozen bags of the tart fruit each holiday season, most of them get used during November and December, but the rest get saved in my freezer for when I need a little does of holiday spirit in July. Today I am going to share with you my favorite holiday treat using cranberries.


Cranberry Cake

3 eggs
2 cups of sugar
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 tsp almond extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 cups fresh cranberries (1 bag)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Beat eggs and sugar till thick and light in color.

Add butter and almond extract. Mix until just incorperated.

Stir in flour. Do not over mix.

Fold in cranberries.

Bake for 45 to 65 minutes depending on what you put the cake in.
For small individual loaf pans (like THESE) or cup cakes, 45 minutes.
For a jellyroll pan 55-65.
You want the top to be golden and then test it with a skewer to make sure it is cooked in the middle.


Another suggestion for cranberries is to add dried cranberries and white chocolate chips to your favorite cookie recipe. This is especially good in oatmeal cookies.

2 comments:

Morgan Moore said...

That looks delicious!!!

jules q said...

Emma, I'm SOOOOO happy you posted this recipe, because your cranberry cake became my favorite holiday treat last year. Thank you, thank you, thank you!